Hug Day celebrated on February 12 every year is a day to express your admiration for your lover, friends and family. Hug Day gives you an opportunity to cuddle up with your loved ones.
A simple hug from a close friend or a lover has the power to boost your mood. Hugging not only increases joy but also instills in us a feeling of confidence.
There is a wonderful saying by Virginia Satir, “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.”
How many do you get?“A hug is the perfect gift- one size fits all and nobody minds if you exchange it.” – Irvin Ball Click To Tweet
Everyone enjoys the idea of Hug Day. But at the same time you need to consider your relationship with the person before moving ahead and hugging him or her. There are different types of hugs for different relations. (Read Rose Day, Propose Day , Chocolate Day , Teddy Day , Promise Day , Kiss Day, Valentine’s Day)
How to hug on Hug Day
Take a look at these different types of hugs:
1. A hug from the Side is for the people you don’t know very well.
Be considerate of someone’s personal place. Everyone may not be happy with your idea of spreading love by hugging. If you don’t know a person very well, just throw an arm around his shoulder and give a gentle squeeze. This way you won’t give the other person a chance to accuse you of inappropriate contact. Leave him quickly – this is enough to boost his spirits without making it uneasy.
2. A comfortable Crossover hug is for your close friends and family members.
Image Credits: destinationenlightenment.com
When you go for a crossover hug, you make it clear that you are on an equal footing with the person and the feeling is mutual. This is a close embrace, suitable for close relationships with a deep bonding.
Also Read: Top 10 Valentines Day Gift Ideas for Him
3. Romantic hug for the lovers
There is that one thing in physical attraction that forces you to have a flirty contact. Just imagine the most romantic scene of a movie. It mostly ends with the woman throwing her arms around the hero as he grabs and lifts her. It is a brilliant manifestation of the dreamy quality of love. The hug might lead to passionate kissing and a long lasting relationship!
Hugging makes you happy and healthy
A hug is not only a sign of emotional support, love and affection but also has many health benefits. Look at the reasons why you need to hug more often.
- The caring touch gives us a sense of safety and trust. This allows us to communicate honestly and with an open heart.
- Hugs boost the oxytocin levels in the body. This makes you look young and slow down aging.
- Hug decreases the stress-related hormone cortisol, thus lifts up your mood and help you de-stress.
- It increases the level of hormone called serotonin in the body. It keeps you in a good mood and makes you happy.
- Hug strengthens the immune system. When you hug a person, a gentle pressure is exerted on the sternum which creates an emotional charge in the body. This in turn stimulates the thymus gland and regulates the production of WBCs which keeps you healthy.
- A hug can boost your self-esteem.
- Hugging relaxes muscles. It releases tension by fighting pain and improving the blood circulation. It not only relieves us of the mental stress, but can also do wonders for our physical health and muscle activity.
- Hugs teach us the formula of give and receive. It tells us that love flows in both directions.
- Do you know thathugging your loved ones burns around 12 calories? Every time you hug, you burn calories, thus maintaining your weight.
- Lastly, the exchange of energy that takes place when two people hug each other encourages empathy and understanding.
Best Hug Day Quotes
- “Love is a circular emotion that surrounds you, like a hug. Or a noose.” – Jarod Kintz
- “A hug is the perfect gift- one size fits all and nobody minds if you exchange it.” – Irvin Ball
- “Love is a peaceful feeling, like a flower hugging a butterfly.” – Jarod Kintz
- “One word can end a fight; one hug can start a friendship; one smile can bring Unity; one person can change your entire life!” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “Hold my hands; kiss my forehead, hug me and look in my eyes; maybe today is the last day you can do this.” – M.F. Moonzajer“
- “Be the first to hug and you will be the most to be the hugged.” – Sajid Baig
- “I never realized the warmth of his hug, until he was not around when I need it. ‘Oh Dad! I miss you.” – Sajid Baig
- “My mom smiled at me. Her smile kind of hugged me.” – R.J. Palacio
On this Hug Day go ahead and hug the person who has made a difference in your life!!!
Happy Hug Day!!!