Mother’s Day is celebrated all over the world to respect all mothers and express thankfulness for all the hardships they bear. This post talks about everything related to Mother’s Day and there are some amazing last minute Mother’s Day gift ideas for you!
There is a beautiful poem by Howard Johnson that comes to my mind when I think of my mother:
“M” is for the million things she gave me,
“O” means only that she’s growing old,
“T” is for the tears she shed to save me,
“H” is for her heart of purest gold;
“E” is for her eyes, with love-light shining,
“R” means right, and right she’ll always be,
Put them all together, they spell
A word that means the world to me.
When is Mother’s Day?
Many countries including US, Australia, Canada and India celebrate Mothers Day on the second Sunday of May. So this year Mother’s Day falls on 14th May 2017.
The Day came into being by the efforts of Julia Ward Howe and Anna Jarvis. The Resolution to have a Day dedicated to all the mothers was signed by US President Woodrow Wilson on May 8, 1914. Since then people all over the world celebrate the Day with joy and affection.
Mother’s Day Around the World
Mothers Day is celebrated in numerous countries around the world on different dates. In most of the countries including the US, the Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May. But in some countries, it is celebrated in a completely different time. Whatever may be the date the spirit is the same!
Let’s have a look at the Day of celebration in some of the countries:
1. Mothers Day in Australia is celebrated with a lot of fervor and joy on the second Sunday of May and is celebrated in the same manner as in the US.
2. Mothers Day in Canada is the most popular day after Christmas and Valentine’s Day. Just as in the USA, it is celebrated in Canada on the second Sunday of May.
3. Mother’s Day in India is something new and it’s less than a decade that it’s been celebrated. But the day is a huge success.
4. Mothers Day in Ireland is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of the Christian fasting month of Lent.
5. Mothers Day in Mexico is celebrated on May 10.
6. Mothers Day in New Zealand is celebrated on the second Sunday of May.
7. Mothers Day in South Africa is celebrated on the first Sunday of May. That means a week before the US celebrates it.
8. Mothers Day in UK is celebrated on the fourth Sunday in the month of Lent with great enthusiasm and spirit
9. Mothers Day in US is a national holiday and is celebrated with lot of fervour and cheerfulness. On this day, people thank their mothers for their unconditional love.
Last Minute Mother’s Day Gift Ideas
This happens every year, you see the plethora of Mother’s Day ads everywhere; you think to yourself “I’ve still got time”. Next thing you realize, it’s just three days before Mother’s Day and you’re still empty-handed. Don’t panic. We feel your pain, so we have for you some of the best last minute mother’s day gift ideas.
To decide for the perfect gift for your perfect mom is really a tough task on a Mother’s Day. But whatever you gift her; she will love it and appreciate your feelings behind it. However, a little consideration while buying the gift might make your mother’s day more pleasant. You may also order online Mother’s Day gift on various shopping sites. Here are some last minute Mother’s Day gift ideas for all the lovely moms:
1. Cutting Board Set
I’m a big fan of cutting boards. Now, mine aren’t very pretty, but I still use them. This bamboo set is a top-rated, best-selling item on Amazon and looks like the perfect surface for cutting or even as a cheeseboard.
2. Cuisinart 12-Piece Printed Color Knife Set
These knives are a little bit funky, even for me, but they would definitely make dinner prep more fun.
3. A Book on Motherhood
I gave me this book to my mom, and I love how Lisa Jo Baker expresses her mothering experiences with humor and empathy.
4. Aspen Bay Jar Volcano Candle
These candles are amazing. Yes, they’re kind of pricey, but the pretty packaging, yummy scents and a decently long burn time definitely make them unique.
I love Tocca perfume. I wear Florence, and it hits all the right notes of sweetness, musk, and spice. I’ve had my mini-bottle for over a year now, and even though I use it often, a little goes a long way, and I have lots left. So this year gift this amazing perfume to your mother!
6. Sarah Watts Kitchen Cloth
This tea towel just makes me happy. Actually pretty much everything by Sarah Watts does. Her designs are so pretty and whimsical.
7. Kikkerland Vintage Streamline Kitchen Timer
These timers are very adorable! I just love them. Try gifting one of these to your mom on this Mother’s Day.
8. Tea set
This tea set is pretty and has multiple color options, so if you like the look but don’t love the color of this one, be sure to check out the others.
9. Nail Polish Set
Every girl loves nail polish. This set has all great colors for any skin tone at very good prices. It would be super-easy to buy a set.
10. Necklace Set
There is no woman in this world who does not love jewelry. So this Mother’s Day gift your mom this set. She will surely love it!
Unique ways to celebrate Mother’s Day
“A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” – Agatha Christie
A unique type of a celebration means something that leaves her asking for more – something never experienced before. All you need is a little imagination and creativity to make the Day memorable. Here are some ideas for you:
- Plan an exclusive outing for her. Think of some nearby place and make it a one-day excursion. It can be a fun outing or a day in the boat house!
- Make the day so special that she cherishes it throughout her life. Create a treasure hunt for your mom with clues leading her to an unforgettable gift.
- Organize a surprise Mothers Day celebration. Invite all the people that are special to her.
- If you want to plan something elaborate for her, invite all her friends and have a reunion of all Mothers on Mothers Day.
Best Mother’s Day Quotes
Still if you are not sure about what to gift to the most important woman in your life, don’t worry! Behold the gift of words!
Share these quotes with her and tell her that you are grateful for her love, wisdom and support.
1) “The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Honoré de Balzac
2) “A man loves his sweetheart the most; his wife the best, but his mother the longest.” – Irish Proverb
3) “A mom’s hug lasts long after she lets go.” – Anonymous
4) “Who ran to help me when I fell, and would some pretty story tell, or kiss the place to make it well? My mother.” – Ann Taylor
5) “What I am, you helped me to be.” – From “To Mom with Love: A Celebration of You!”
6) “I believe in love at first sight because I’ve been loving my mother since I opened my eyes.” – UnknownI believe in love at first sight because I’ve been loving my mother since I opened my eyes. Click To Tweet
7) “You never appreciate all of the things your mother did for you until you find yourself doing the same things for your kids.” – Linda Poindexter
8) “If the whole world were put into one scale, and my mother in the other, the whole world would kick the beam.” – Lord Langdale (Henry Bickersteth)
9) “Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – From “A Little Spoonful of Chicken Soup for the Mother’s Soul”
10) “A mother is a mother still, The holiest thing alive.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
11) “This heart, my own dear mother, bends, With love’s true instinct, back to thee!” – Thomas Moore
12) “A mother understands what a child does not say.” – Jewish Proverb
13) “You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be –
I had a mother who read to me.” – Strickland Gillilan
14) “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
15) “There never was a woman like her. She was gentle as a dove and brave as a lioness… The memory of my mother and her teachings were, after all, the only capital I had to start life with, and on that capital I have made my way.” – Andrew Jackson, U.S. President
16) To the world you might just be one person, but to one person you might just be the world. – Unknown
17) “There is no velvet so soft as a mother’s lap, no rose as lovely as her smile, no path so flowery as that imprinted with her footsteps.” – Archibald Thompson
18) “The Miracle of Life nurtured by a woman who gave us love and sacrifice…MOTHER.” – Joel Barquez
Happy Mother’s Day!!