What comes to your mind when you think about New Year?
New Year messages and cards…
New Year wishes…
New Year’s Eve…
New Year Party…
New Year’s Resolutions…..
Promise for a bright future…so on
New Year’s Eve is around the corner. The year 2015 is about to end and we will enter the New Year 2016. Everyone will ask you the same question that what is your New Year resolution for 2016?
Many of us will make New Year’s resolutions like my resolution this year is to lose weight or I will quit smoking or I make a resolution to stay fit etc etc. But how many of you really achieve your goal?
We all know that it is not easy to keep up the resolutions.
As life becomes normal after the holiday season and New Year celebrations, our old habits tests our new resolutions and tend to pull us away from them. Change is not easy but we all have the ability to bring about changes and make our life meaningful.
So how do I achieve my resolution? Here are some strategies that will help you make your New Year Resolutions in 2016 effective:
Strategies to make New Year Resolutions effective in 2016:
1. Know Why
If you want to stick to your resolution, you should know why you are making this resolution and you should be passionate about achieving it. Make resolutions that give you a sense of purpose. If your resolution is linked to a purpose, it will motivate you to move ahead, no matter how many impediments you have to face.
Align your resolution with a purpose!
2. Be Precise
If you are specific and clear-cut about what you want to achieve, the chances of success are far greater. Keep a record of your progress. For instance, if your resolution is to get a better health, make a daily or a weekly plan of your workouts.
3. Create Your Environment
Environment plays a very important role in your success or failure. Create an environment which makes it difficult NOT to do what you are determined to do. Keep yourself away from people and things that pull you back.
4. Be Focused
The tendency with every one of us is that we start something new with great enthusiasm but when our initial efforts don’t give us the results we give up. What we need to do is to focus on the process and make ourselves more competent. Suppose you want to stay fit – then focus on increasing your time of walking or jogging a little daily.
5. Forgive Your Failures
What will define your success in the coming year is not your failure but how you responded to that failure. Don’t let your failure pull you back. Learn from them, make changes accordingly and move on.
Even after making full efforts and giving your best your resolutions fail. Do you know why?
Why Resolutions didn’t work in 2015?
- The biggest reason why the resolution fail is that it is not based on what we need to do but on what we think we should do. Most of the times, you make resolutions which are based on other people’s expectations. Forget about what others want from you, think about what you want.
- Some of the resolutions fail in January itself while others by the mid-year. The reason is that there is lack of commitment. The problem is that you are trying to do something which is not meaningful to you but still you want it to happen. In short your resolution lacks any sort of personal importance. So resolution should be the one that really comes from within you and that which matters a lot.
- The timing is wrong. After long holidays, you have to again face the harsh realities of life and over that the new burden of resolutions. If you want to do something and make a choice – why wait for a single day? You can do that on any day of the year.
The best way to achieve your resolution in 2016 is to break it down into smaller targets that are clear-cut and calculable.
Tips to achieve New Year Resolutions
- Try to make one resolution so that your chances of achieving it are far greater because all your energies will be channelized in a single direction.
- Don’t make the same resolution again as it can lead to disappointment.
- If you plan to make a resolution, don’t wait for the New Year’s Eve. Do it a few days before so that you have time to ponder upon it.
- Don’t follow the herd – think what you need.
- Let people around you know about your goals. They can support you.
- Keep reminding yourself about your mission!
- Award yourself when you achieve something. It will keep you motivated.
It’s easy to make a New Year Resolution but difficult to stick to it. In the coming New Year 2016, make one worthy resolution and try to achieve it.
Here’s to your health!
- · Lose weight
- · Stay fit
- · Quit smoking
- · Make healthy lifestyle changes
- · Reduce stress
- · Be grateful and stay happy
- · Cut your alcohol consumption
- · Get enough sleep
- · Keep a positive mind
- · Eat healthy
Stop making half-hearted decisions that have little relevance in your life. Instead make choices that really matter to you.
Follow these tips and strategies and make 2016 the best year of your life.
Live by design not by default!