Twitter turns 10 Today and is celebrating its birthday!
Ten years ago, today on March 21, Twitter started its journey with a single tweet. Celebrating its 10th birthday, the microblogging service has come up with a new hashtag emoji for all its users. This new hashtag will enable users to express their love in this small world of 140-character.
A new #LoveTwitter comprises of a heart and a Twitter bird.
Having almost 320 million users that include top celebrities like Justin Bieber, Harry Styles and Katy Perry on its platform, Twitter on Monday sent a 140-character thank you note to all its users.
The ruling queen of the site is singer Katy Perry with more than 84 million followers. Justin Bieber ranks second with 77 million, and Taylor Swift third at 72 million.
“On March 21, ten years ago, it began with a single Tweet. Since then, every moment of every day, people connect about the things they care about most – all over the world.
“Throughout the years, you’ve made Twitter what it is today and you’re shaping what it will be in the future. Thank you for making history, driving change, lifting each other up and laughing together every day,” Twitter post stated.
It will celebrate the day at all its offices across the world to express appreciation and thankfulness to all.
“As we mark this milestone, it’s you we want to celebrate. As March 21 begins around the world, each of our global offices will kick off the day by showing our appreciation and gratitude – starting in Sydney and following the sun to headquarters in San Francisco. We are excited to celebrate with all of you,” the post read.
CEO of Twitter, Jack Dorsey in an interview said that while company is planning several changes, the 140-character limit is “a beautiful constraint” and that Twitter “will never lose that feeling”. This limit helps in conveying strong statements and is a unique element of Twitter.
Twitter has also shared a video where it thanks all its thanking its followers and also highlights some of the key tweets.
Check it out to look at its milestones…
Key Facts about Twitter
- It was founded by tech experts Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Biz Stone and Noah Glass. At that time it consisted of only 14 employees.
- The tweet was published by its founder Jack Dorsey on March 21, 2006 at 9:50 PM Pacific Standard Time (PST). The tweet was “just setting up my twttr” – which the site suggests its every new user to post as his first tweet.
- It was originally created as was “pod-casting of SMS to any network.” What we see today is a result of number of changes.
- Do you know that the name Twitter was not the first choice for this site? It was initially called “twitch”. It was during the research about the word twitch that the word Twitter came across and was thus thought perfect!
- At first the founders selected “10958” as a short code for their network but latter it was changed to current short code “40404.”
- The original idea behind its creation was SMS -which consists of 160 characters. Therefore the microblogging service keeps a limit of 140 characters for the users and leaves the remaining 20 characters for user name and unique URLs.
- For the fiscal year 2015-end it’s net revenue stands at US$2.21 billion while the net profit from all sources of the network was recorded to be US$521 million.
- Its headquarters is located in San Francisco and has regional offices in 25 other places.
- It has 3,638 permanent employees around the globe.
Twitter users post 500 million tweets per day and 200 billion tweets every year.
Let’s wish Twitter Happy Birthday and tweet!