Friendship Day is celebrated across the world to celebrate the amazing relation called friendship. It is a time to say ‘I Care’. It is the perfect occasion to recollect sweet memories of the time spent together.
True friends are difficult to find, so if you have one, make sure that you let your friend know on this day how much they mean to you.
“A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.”
— Bernard Meltzer.
When is Friendship Day?
It is celebrated on the first Sunday of August every year. This year 2016, it will be celebrated on 7th August. The Day started as a small event, to honour the relation shared by friends. Today, it has become a grand festival. Over the passing years, the festivities related to Friendship Day have become even more colourful. The exchange of gifts, flowers, friendship bands and greeting cards has become an important part, rather, a tradition of this Day.
What is friendship?
Do you have a friend who has always stood by you?
Have you shared the feeling of oneness with your childhood friend?
Friendship is stronger than any other bond. If you have a true friend, make sure to maintain the friendship. Friendship also requires care and attention and needs to be nurtured. We must therefore never lose an opportunity to express our feelings and love to our friends. Let the friendship evolve!
Turn your back on friendship, and you will find yourself isolated. But cultivate the relationship, and you will reap benefits.
True friendship stands the test of time. You may be separated by physical boundaries and distances but when your best friend calls, you can transcend any boundary.
Some time ago, I got in touch with my school friend, whom I had last seen about 10 years ago. Family considerations, college and personal goals drifted us apart. Time brought many changes within us also. But we took no time to reconnect after the long gap of 10 years. It seemed as if not years but only days have passed away. It was almost as if time stood still, and we were once again back to our school days.
Childhood friends share a special bond. They have known us before we became worldly wise. They were with us when we unmasked our fears and failings. They accepted us for who we are, not who we would grow up to be. I cherish my childhood friendships the most. They are the friends with whom you don’t have to hide away your true self.A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out – Walter Winchell Click To Tweet
History of Friendship Day
In view of the important role friends play in our life it was deemed to fit to have a day dedicated to friends and friendship. The United States Congress, in 1935, proclaimed first Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day. Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an annual event.
Following the popularity and success of Friendship Day in US, several other countries adopted the tradition of dedicating a day to friends. Today, Friendship Day is celebrated by several countries across the world including India.
In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie – the Pooh as the world’s Ambassador of Friendship.
Ways to celebrate Friendship Day
Friendship Day is the time to let your friends know that how much they are needed and loved. The day calls for celebrations and enjoyment in the company of closed pals and chums!! Here are some Friendship Day celebration ideas just for you. So go ahead and have a fabulous and over-the-top Friendship Day celebration!
1. Organize a Party
The most special way to celebrate Friendship Day is to organize a party for your new friends and old and have a blast. However, this idea needs a little planning. Once all the preparations are done, call up your buddies and just have your fling!
Going out for a camp is a great way to check out on your favorite outdoor sports such as trekking, beach volleyball, basketball, swimming and much with your best buddies. Have an action-packed Friendship Day celebration!A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself Click To Tweet
3. Share your Thoughts and Views
For most of us the best way to celebrate the Day is to have a heart-to-heart talk with a soul mate. Sharing everything with your friend and catching up with each other’s life is a comforting way of celebrating Friendship Day.
4. Recollect Memories
Another way to celebrate the Day is to make an album of your most cherished and special moments spent together. This will be the most touching Friendship Day celebration for you and your friend.
5. Make a Poster
Yet another amazing and creative idea is to create a poster on Friendship Day. For instance you may paint your name and your friend’s on it artistically and revel in the joy when your friend flashes that million-dollar smile.
Also Read: How does Friendship affect your Health?
Friendship Day Gift Ideas
Friendship Day Gifts plays a very important role in strengthening the relationship you share with your loved ones. Friendship Gifts must therefore be selected with love and care. Here some popular Friendship Day Gift ideas just for you.
- Friendship Band is one of the most popular Friendship Gift. Instead of the conventional wristbands, you can opt for the friendship bracelets which come in attractive designs for both boys and girls.
- Flowers are the best and the easiest way to convey emotions and hence they make a wonderful gift for friends.
- Cute and attractive show pieces are another extremely popular Friendship Day Gift.
- Chocolates make a yummy and delicious Friendship Day gift for foodies.
- Soft Toys are a cute Friendship gift. They are especially appreciated by girls.
- Photo frames and photo albums are a much sought after Friendship Day Gift.
- Books make a thoughtful Friendship Gift idea for friends fond of reading.
20 Best Friendship Day Quotes
Feel the essence and worth of true friendship with best Friendship Day quotes. Share them with your friends and raise a toast to your undying love.
1. “Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.”– Elbert Hubard
2. “True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost.” – Charles Caleb Colton
3. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” – Anais Nin
4. “My friends are my estate.” – Emily Dickinson
5. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” – Walter Winchell
6. “A friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else.” – Len Wein
7. “A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.” – Unknown
8. “A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself.” – Unknown
9. “Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead.
Walk beside me and be my friend.” – Albert Camus
10. “A hug is worth a thousand words. A friend is worth more.” – Unknown
11. “Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise.” – Unknown
12. “Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend’s success.” – Oscar Wilde
13. “Two may talk together under the same roof for many years, yet never really meet; and two others at first speech are old friends.” – Mary Catherwood
14. “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival.” – C. S. Lewis
15. “Friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life.” – Unknown
16. “The better part of one’s life consists of his friendships.” – Abraham Lincoln
17. “The love of my life is the love between friends.” – Unknown
18. “To be depressed is to be lonely; to have a friend is to be happy…” – Guido
19. “Friendship is like a perennial river which flows forever. It may change it’s path but will never ever dry up.” – Pinaki Prasad Mohanty
20. “Remember, the greatest gift is not found in a store nor under a tree, but in the hearts of true friends.” – Cindy Lew
True friendship is about putting your feet up and knowing that someone is there to bail you out when the world might walk out on you. The heart-to-heart bonding is what makes friendship so special.
Happy Friendship Day to all my friends!